Behind the Scenes + Best of the Month
Behind the Scenes + Best of the Month is your resource for the top social media and business articles around the web. Each month I'll highlight my favorite web articles, as well as give you an insight into my life behind-the-scenes.
With the start of a new month, it's nice to take a moment to reflect on the previous month's wins and struggles. While it's important to focus on the good stuff when growing a brand and business, I think that highlighting struggles - and how we learn from them - is key to progress.
The Struggle of a New Routine
I officially launched this social media managing business in the beginning of January. Because I originally did personal training five days out of the week, I had to rearrange/condense my schedule to make time for my social media clients, as well as other business-related tasks (blog posts, prospecting, planning, researching).
Monday and Friday mornings are my designated "office hours", and let me tell you. It's been an adjustment! The first couple of Monday mornings at the home office did not go as planned:
- I slept in - until 7:30/8AM - and took my time with breakfast and coffee. Picture a slow, easy morning that is usually savored on the weekends
- I spent part of the morning distracted, switching from one task to another, without any serious productivity
The result of my woah, I don't have to wake up at 5AM for personal training clients? Guess I'll sleep in and enjoy these new mornings at home mindset was, frankly, not what I should've been doing for myself. Granted, it was nice at the time. But the last two weeks of January involved more of a routine, and more hustle!
Now, my office routine looks a little more like this:
- Get up at 6AM (okay, maybe lie in bed for 20 minutes to check Instagram and Facebook)
- Quick breakfast
- Coffee while focusing on ONE task at a time
- Putting phone on "do not disturb" function so I can stay productive
- Workout around lunch-time, rather than in the early morning
How to Stay Focused in the Office
Whether or not you are getting used to a new work routine like I am, we can all benefit from reminders about how to stay focused in the office! The next time you feel yourself pulling away from productivity, try the following tips:
- Put your phone on "do not disturb": such a simple switch, and oh-so-effective. When my phone is on DND, the result is obvious: I don't get curious about what's happening on Instagram, I avoid the need to look at my phone every time I get a notification, and I don't distract myself with responding to e-mails
- Leave only ONE tab open in your browser: this one is tough for me. I routinely have 10+ tabs open (I know, it's a bit excessive), but narrowing it down to just one has helped me stay laser-focused on the current task.
- Get out of your chair every half-hour/hour: it's been a long while since I've had a desk job, and I forgot how easy it was to get in the zone and sit for literally 3.5 or 4 hours before realizing that I haven't moved. Besides the health benefits of getting up to move, taking a mental break can help us clear our heads and re-focus.
Best of the Month (Around the Web)
Alright, enough behind-the-scenes! The following articles are ones that I've found incredibly useful for brands and businesses. They all relate to social media in one way or another, and I hope you find them useful too:
Cheers to a new month! Stay tuned for more blog posts to improve your brand's engagement and reach.
Let's chat: how did you adjust to a new work routine? What are your favorite ways to stay productive?